Tuesday, December 16, 2008

NEW wedding website

So I started a wedding website today. It's not finished yet (translation: Walker hasn't touched it yet, so it's really just all my stuff), but here's the website anyway: http://soneelaandwalker.weddings.com.
I was working on it for like 2 hours today. it completely sucked me in. the only reason i stopped was because my mom and i had a shopping date.
Speaking of shopping, i really wish you all could see the amazing outfits that i have been seeing/trying on/pawing through here. They are fabulous. There is absolutely nothing comparable in the States. If you've never been shopping in India - I highly suggest it. The colors, the crystals, the sequins - it's absolutely mind boggling.
I'm afraid that's as much as I can give away. My outfits have to be a surprise, after all. But I'll put up a picture of an outfit I tried on the first day. It's not nearly fancy enough for a bride, but it'll give you an idea what you mean. They don't let you take pictures in the shops (obviously) because they don't want to get ripped off, but I happened to have my camera, so I sneakily took a pic in the dressing room.
Meanwhile, we went to the craziest mall today. It was one of the biggest sheesheest (yes, that's a technical term) malls I've ever been to. What was weird about it was that it could have been in any country in the world. If I had to put it somewhere I would have put it in Dubai. It was all Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior, Versace, Fendi, Gorgio Armani - you name it. And this mall was even more packed than the cheaper malls. Because peoples in India gots money now. "It's all the dot commers", my mom would say. I felt like I was seeing for the first time how India (and China) are the new emerging economic powers. Don't get me wrong, their in an economic downturn here too - and I can tell because whenever I walk into a store I get pounced on by someone who works there or sometimes three people who work there - but I don't see it like I see it in the US. I don't know, the point is: It was really crazy. I've never seen this India before. I mean, the last time I was here, three years ago, and granted, I wasn't in Delhi, I didn't see Louis Vuitton ANYWHERE. And just so you know, just because it's Louis Vuitton in India doesn't mean it's any cheaper. My mom, a seasoned shopper, did some quick price comparisons and the stuff in the stores here costs pretty much the same as it does in the US. Now, given the standard of living here - those prices are exorbitant. And I'm telling you - people were buying stuff. It was deep.
Anyway, I spent all my time on the upper floors which boasted the Indian garb. There was some gorgeous stuff there. I am now officially obsessed with an Indian designer by the name of Satya Paul. His stuff is way too casual to wear for a wedding, but he has all these awesome print saris and his style is totally unique. I bought two scarves from one of this stores the other day. But before this trip is over, as Shiva is my witness, I'm getting one of his saris. They totally rock.

No comments: